Monday 2 April 2012

Arab(ian Peninsula Focus) Spring

For those few (but cherished) regular readers who were concerned about my disappearance from the blogosphere...fear not! I went off-line last week (but certainly not off-piste) as I spent my time learning how to slide down some medium-sized French mountains with a pair of flat plastic planks stuck to my feet in a (mostly) controlled manner. After a week of skiing and breathing in the alpine air I am now back in the big smoke and in front of my laptop again. To celebrate the fact that I have made it back to London in one piece,  I have prepared an extravaganza of a comeback post.


Welcome to Arab(ian Peninsula Focus) Spring 


In today's post, I will talk through five news stories, one for each working day that I didn't post last week, which caught my eye.


 1. It appears there has finally been some affirmative action from the gulf countries regarding Syria. The months of empty rhetoric from the likes of Saudi Arabia and Kuwait have been replaced with action in the form of a pledge by gulf countries to create a multi-million-dollar fund to pay members of the Free Syrian Army and soldiers who defect. Whilst I have previously been critical of Arabian Peninsula countries who have voted to recognise the Syrian National Council as the official representatives of the Syrian People before the Syrians themselves have had a chance to do so, I do feel that providing the SNC with funds is a positive step in ousting Asad. (This was covered by Al-Jazeera and BBC, amongst others)

2. In Yemen, clashes have continued between suspected al-Qaeda militants and government troops. Last week, in one violent episode in South Yemen seventeen soldiers and twelve suspected militants were killed. It is clear that the tensions between Al-Qaeda in Yemen and President Hadi continue, and are turning into a drawn out series of clashes rather than initial teething problems while Hadi asserts his power. Yemen's new president continues to state the same message: fighting al-Qaeda is one of his top priorities. If this is really the case, I think it's time for Hadi to rethink his counter-al-Qaeda strategy. (This was covered by the BBC

3. Hillary Clinton has openly expressed concern at the recent closure in the United Arab Emirates of the Dubai office of the National Democratic Institute (NDI). The NDI is a US-based organisation and is seen as a champion of human rights in some parts of the Middle East. Whilst the closure has forced Hillary to tut and shake her head in a concerned manner, it is difficult to see how she will take any actions which risk threatening the UAE's relationship with the USA. (This was reported by Al-Jazeera)

4. Saudi Arabia has arrested 681 alleged drug smugglers in the last 4 months. I find this particularly interesting. Saudi Arabia's punishments for drug trafficking and use are as tough as they can be, with the strictest punishment being death. It amazes me that, given the tough consequences, so many people are allegedly prepared to risk their lives in drug smuggling. That said, the tough punishments for those caught in possession of drugs will undoubtedly push up the cost of narcotic substances in Saudi Arabia. Just like anything, the greater the risk - the greater the reward. (This was covered by AFP)

And finally...it appears that nothing of note whatsoever happened in Oman whilst I was tumbling in the snow. Somehow this does not surprise me.


3 comments: